The Aerospace and Research Center (CRAE) is the tool of the Universitat Politècnica de catalunya (UPC) to foster R&D in the Aeronautics and Space fileds, by increasing the collaboration between UPC groups and acquiring the critical mass required for large projects.
CRAE is UPC's window to the world for Aeronautics and Space activities and articulates the participation of UPC researchers within the Institut d'Estudis Espacials de Catalunya (IEEC: http://www.ieec.fcr.es/).
Research topics of the CRAE research groups include:
- Aeronautics sector:
- Numerical methods in engineering and calculation of structures.
- Structural integrity and reliability of materials.
- Design of light alloys and surface treatment.
- Electronic systems industry.
- Autonomic vehicles.
- Space sector:
- Astrodynamics (Orbital mechanics).
- Microgravity environment.
- Instrumentation and biomechanical engineering.
- Antennas and RF subsystems.
- Optical communications in free space.
- Satellite navigation.
- Earth observation.